Epidural is an anesthesia that relieves labor pains in recent times has become very popular among pregnant women.
At the end of the pregnancy the pregnant woman begins to think about the time of delivery, one of the most difficult decisions to take is whether or not to take epidural.
The epidural is a local anesthesia given in the spine and it blocks the pain in the lower body, unlike the other anesthetics the epidural does not cause it to lose the full sensitivity only decreases the sensation in the lower part of the body, so that at the time of the I feel the urge to pull.
How an epidural is given
The epidural is administered by an anesthesiologist, many hospitals and maternity clinics make an appointment with the doctor a few days before delivery to assess the risks.
During labor, the anesthesiologist asks the pregnant woman to arch her back and to lie still on her left or seated side and then a small tube or catheter is placed through which the medication is delivered, the catheter is only taken after delivery
Advantages of epidural
- Relieves labor discomfort;
- It allows the mother to rest during the dilatation;
- In case of episiotomy, the woman does not feel the procedure;
- Helps with hours of work, especially when it lasts for many hours;
- It does not pass into the maternal circulation and does not affect the baby.
Disadvantages of epidural anesthesia
- If not well applied can cause severe headaches to the mother;
- Some women may have a marked decrease in blood flow;
- It can also cause some side effects like tremors, tinnitus, back pain and nausea.
- The mother may not feel the urge to pull;
The epidural can be administered at any time during labor, but the ideal is to be applied when the woman already has a 4 or 5 cm dilatation, if applied early the epidural can delay and even stop labor.
Transforaminal Blood Patch for the Treatment of Chronic …
Meningitis Outbreak Linked to Spinal Injections
Anesthesia & Breastfeeding: More Often Than Not, They Are …
plexo venoso de batson
Percutaneous Transforaminal Endoscopic Spine Surgery …
Pediatric Normal Parameters and Equipment
Who Needs a Meteorologist With Weather-wise Joints …
Interpretacion de TAC de CRÁNEO fase simple
Teste positivo foto
Dolor en el niño (parte II): manejo
Mal de pott
The Pool – Health
COMPLICATIONS OF SPINAL & EPIDURAL ANAESTHESIA
LOCAL, REGIONAL, EPIDURAL ANAESTHESIA
Caudal Epidural Steroid Injections